Registration Procedures for Events and Activities
September 2012 - January 2013
The listings in this book are sponsored by the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa to support group activities and the education and development of girls through their involvement in Girl Scouting. The fees cover items such as the costs of supplies, food, facility rental, awards/ recognitions, patches, facilitator fees, insurance, printing, postage, and sometimes transportation. It is so easy to register online! Be sure to read through the important registration guidelines that follow:
Please note the individual closing deadlines!
Please register your Girl Scout for any program as soon as possible. By registering early, you will help us make sure that there are adequate materials for the program which will assist us in providing the best possible experience. Events will close as soon as we have reached the maximum registration amount. If minimum numbers are not met, the event may be postponed or cancelled.
- Registration is required for events. Your cash, check, money order, credit/debit cards, Cookie Dough, Juliette Proceeds, or Financial Aid card will be processed and charged upon receipt of registration form. If your group/troop does not get into the event, you will be notified and will have the choice to either stay on the waiting list or have a refund processed immediately.
- You are welcome to submit registrations online, by mail, or in person. Use the same name you gave when you completed your Girl Scout yearly membership registration (i.e. Elizabeth vs. Beth). Registrations will be handled on a first-come, first-serve basis; postmarks will be honored the same as walk-ins. If minimum registration numbers are not met, the event may be postponed or cancelled.
- All participating girls must be registered, or register, as a Girl Scout. To register as a Girl Scout, just indicate that in the Membership Information section on the Individual Girls form, and include the annual membership dues with the event registration and payment.
- All forms must be complete, i.e. signatures, participant list, and full applicable payment. Write clearly when completing the registration form. Submit payment by cash (do not mail cash), checks, money order, credit/debit cards, and/or Financial Aid, Juliette Proceeds, or Cookie Dough cards. Registration and money will not be accepted at the actual event. Girls or adults whose fees are not prepaid will not be allowed to participate at the event. Please also see the “Register as soon as possible” section for more details. Make checks payable to Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa. Cash is only accepted during normal business hours.
- Registration cancellations can be handled by phone when you call the Des Moines Leadership Center. Additional registrants need to follow the registration procedure listed previously.
- Health History forms are required for any overnight program taking place at camp and any other program overnight stay of two nights or more. Look for opportunities marked in their description with the health history symbol. You will find our Heath History form on our website girlscoutsiowa.org.
- The Council will provide confirmation to registered participants via email. If you have concerns regarding your registration, please call the Des Moines Leadership Center.
- If a participant cancels after the registration close date, there will be no refund except in the event of serious personal injury, illness accompanied with a doctor’s note, death in the immediate family, relocation, or rescheduling of the event.
- Refunds or discounts will not be made for a participant arriving late or leaving early.
- Participants not in attendance at the event are not eligible to receive any items from the event (patches, crafts, amenities, etc.).
- If you need to cancel your registration, do so as soon as possible by calling the Program Registrar at the Des Moines Leadership Center.
- If the Council cancels a program due to inclement weather at the event site on the day of the scheduled event, fees will be refunded and all participants will be notified by phone.
- No individual will be discriminated against because of race, color, national origin, age, handicap, or socioeconomic status. Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa will provide reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Requests should be made to the Council Leadership Center as early as possible, but at least four weeks in advance of the event.
- Financial Aid is available for membership dues, events, and books. Travel Financial Aid is also available via application. Please submit the appropriate financial application found in the forms section of our website.
- All events must meet the minimum adult/girl ratio as required by Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa.
- Articles lost or left behind at an event are not the responsibility of the Council.
- Tagalongs are any children who are not registered Girl Scouts, including babies, boys, or Girl Scouts at an age level other than that for which the event is designed. They detract from the needs and interest of girls participating in the events. Troops or individuals arriving at an event with a Tagalong will be asked to leave or make other arrangements for the child.
- You must complete a separate form (online or paper) for each event you would like to attend.
- There is an events calendar on our website that lists all events by grade level. Descriptions are also available by clicking on the name of the event.
IT’S EASY TO REGISTER ONLINE!
PLEASE NOTE: You will receive an official confirmation from the council noting that you are either in the event or on the waiting list. If you have not heard from us two weeks before your event, please call us at 800-342-8389 or email us.
A new kind of online registration is coming soon to Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa. You can currently register for programs, camp, travel, and adult education opportunities - this new system will allow new or returning members the ability to register for yearly membership online as well!
What does this mean?
It means you can register, pay the $12 membership dues, and print your membership card all in a matter of minutes.
How do you get started?
If you are a current member or have been a member in the past, we must have a correct email address on file. Please send us your name, your daughter’s name, and the email address you want to use on your account. Email it to email@example.com.
Videos will soon be placed on our website to guide you through the online process and to learn more about why this is important to us. If you have questions or need additional information, please email or call 800-342-8389.
Q: What if I would like to register for more than one event?
A: You must complete a form (paper or online) for each event you would like to attend.
Q: Will my credit card be charged immediately? What if my troop/group/individual doesn’t get into the program event?
A: Yes. Your credit card will be charged right away. If your group/troop/individual does not get into the event, your credit card will be refunded on the close date of the event.
Q: Will registering online guarantee a spot in the event?
A: No, all registrations are taken by date submitted or postmarked. Registering online does not increase your chances of being placed in an event.
Q: If I have problems registering online, who do I contact?
A: Call or email the Des Moines Leadership Center and we will be happy to assist you. We can be reached at 800-342-8389 or 515-278-2881 or by email.
Q: Is there a way to view all the events on a calendar?
A: Yes. There is a calendar on our website that lists all events by grade level. Descriptions are also available by clicking on name of the event. Click here to view our calendar.
Q: How do I know if my girl is in the event?
A: We will communicate with you as soon as your registration has been processed. If you have not heard from us by two weeks before the event date, please contact us. We can be reached at 800-342-8389 or 515-278-2881 or by email.