Through the Girl Scout Product Programs, girls develop five essential skills:
Through Girl Scouting, girls become leaders in their daily lives and prepare for their bright futures too! The Girl Scout Cookie Program and Fall Product Program provides an important ingredient for leadership by helping girls develop five key skills.
Download this form to see the 5 Skills in Action!
Why do they matter?
The skills girls learn during the Girl Scout product programs, are skills that they will need for the rest of their lives.
The purchase of Girl Scout Cookies helps bring out the confidence in a girl. It is no easy thing to ask a stranger to buy something.
- As a Girl Scout Daisy (grades K-1), they are learning about how to speak up, speak clearly, speak respectfully, and they are beginning their skill of looking customers in the eye and being brave enough to ask a clear question.
- As a Girl Scout Brownie (grades 2-3), they are being reminded that they can do anything they set their mind to. They are setting goals, and working towards them for a specific purpose.
- As a Girl Scout Junior (grades 4-5), they are learning more about money and the foundations of supply and demand. They are working on their customer service, setting loftier goals, and earning respect with their business ethics.
- As a Girl Scout Cadette (grades 6-8), they are starting to create their product sale into a business of their own. They are thinking outside the box when it comes to sales. They are traveling with the money that they earn, and can site really specific goals.
- As a Girl Scout Senior (grades 9-10), they are making their own decisions about who to sell to, and when to sell them. They have specific goals in mind on what they will use their profit for, and can articulate it very clearly to their customers.
- As a Girl Scout Ambassador (grades 11-12), they now have their sites set on their future careers. These girls are using the cookie program to fund their travel as well as hone their business skills. By now, they've perfected their customer service skills, and working on trademarking their business ethics. They decide how to run their business and they do great things.
When a Girl Scout learns these skills, she’ll be poised for success in her career. Think about it…
When employers interview job candidates, they all look for the same things. This is true whether the employer is a bank, high-tech company, university, hospital, publishing house, car dealership, accounting firm - or even the local pet store!
- Someone who can set goals and meet deadlines.
- Someone who works well with others.
- Someone who understands customers.
- Someone who can influence others.
- Someone who is honest, trustworthy and reliable.
The Girl Scout Product Programs touch on each and every one of these items. What a great, and fun, way to learn these life-long skills!
Sure... the cookies all taste good, but, it is so much more than a simple cookie.
A Girl Scout Cookie can do a lot. It could help pay for a fresh change of clothes for an abuse victim rushed to a shelter. It could cheer up a soldier far from home. It could help buy school supplies for needy children, or fly a group of girls from the Midwest to Washington D.C. Some of these girls will come back to Washington as congresswomen or senators. One day, just you wait, our first female president will reminisce about the time she visited Washington D.C. and stood inside the Lincoln Memorial with her Girl Scout friends.
The purchase of Girl Scout Cookies helps bring out the confidence in a girl. It is no easy thing to ask a stranger to buy something. You have to speak up, look them in the eye, and believe in what you’re doing. Believe in yourself.
With every season of Girl Scout Cookies, another generation of girls learns to set goals, make a plan, and decide where the money goes. As women, they’ll need these skills, whether their goal is to start a business or a family. In fact, if you ask many of today's successful business women, they will tell you that they once sold Girl Scout cookies. The cookie program is the premiere business and economic literacy program for girls and helps young women practice these valuable life skills (among others) all while having fun with their friends.
All proceeds from our Cookie Sale stay within our local Girl Scout jurisdiction. We want to thank each of you personally for helping to support your local girls as they strive toward their goals and look toward their future as a confident and courageous woman of character.